Monday 19 April 2010

The Deconstructions

These deconstructions, are useful in creating and maximising the potential for my magazine to appeal to its target audience





This Contents page is derived from Kerrang music Magazine, Kerrang is a rock magazine, which follows modern events rather, than nostalgic different eras of music, therefore, it to is needing to appeal to a modern young generation for their target audience. The picture to text ratio allows the reader to identify all aspects and features of the music magazine without being overwhelmed with information, this ratio was duplicated for my magazine, and the use of language, was copied in order to maintain that the language I used was appealing to my target Audience.





Through deconstructing and evaluating this contents page, I was able to learn of the conventions of the type of modern magazine I wanted mine to be, therefore, I saw factors that I liked and appealed to me, and as I am a young person who would be included within my target Audience, I took inspiration from them.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg_-E-z9yUNf2ucyuLpNVi8DiSs0xT4OvYV49P4QHjUdRvLvKtsay6zsiKK9Xu7bh8aqrMwPF8H0Tiedo_vMisS_Zvg4PRtBNhVoo8ltK9AkwkAQKF2oojt27L4xpcoUQ6VDo1tPmr2pxs/s1600/contents.jpg

The Brief introductory paragraph, and front cover image, was appealing, as it gave the magazine a feeling of trying to engage with the audience on a personal level and distanced it from say, a magazine that intends to appear as simply an informative piece of writing, rather than magazine that will appeal to the younger audience by informing them in a form of communication that engages the audience, so that it feels more like a conversation rather than a dictation of information. As you can see it is always there in the top corner, thus becoming a sort of convention for the magazine.




The use of the mixed colour scheme with light and dark, has connotations of a balanced and mixed view on music. I developed this convention and expanded upon it by emphasising the contrasting dark black, bright yellow for the font, as to empathise the different views and ideologies displayed within the magazine.








Through this deconstruction, I learned important facts about the layout of the contents page. In order for a magazine to attempt to distance itself from a distinctive musical genre, breaking the convention of the text of the right hand side with the Image slightly to the left may be used. For instance, here is the music Magazine of Q that covers a broad range of music. http://natashamedia.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/q-contents.jpg, the content layout is the direct reverse of the layout of the kerrang magazine. However, I chose not to follow this concept of attempted uniqueness, as I felt that my magazine, should try and show that It covers a broad range of topics, however, it abides by its own conventions for instance the language it uses, despite what type of genre is being covered in that section.


I followed a convention when it came the images. In the magazine industry, contents pages all tend to either have a big main photo, of the USP, and then small photos around it, or they simply have one photo that takes up the whole page. I did the former.



The Masthead is often prominet on contents pages. However, I thought it would be cunning to break this convention, and my mast head isnt even properly feartured, except for on the image of the front page. This is because, my magazine is intended to have connotations of reputation, therefore, broadcasting its name on the contents page is not a neccesity.

No comments:

Post a Comment